Semi Homemade Chicken Parmesan Tortellini is a super easy meal that’s ready in about 30-45 minutes! Breaded Chicken nuggets, pasta sauce and cheese tortellini is absolutely delicious! This can also be made with cheesy tortelloni!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
Chicken Parmesan is an amazing dish and while the classic is perfect on it’s own, I like to play around with those flavor combos sometimes. I’ve made the classic Chicken Parmesan and we’ve made Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells but now it’s time for a quick version that I like to call Semi Homemade Chicken Parmesan Tortellini!
Quick glance at what you’ll need for Semi Homemade Chicken Parmesan Tortellini: (amounts in recipe card below)
- breaded chicken nuggets, cooked
- refrigerated cheese tortellini or refrigerated cheese tortelloni
- pasta sauce
- diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- Italian Seasoning
- garlic powder
- shredded mozzarella cheese
How to make Semi Homemade Chicken Parmesan Tortellini:
QUICK GLANCE Semi Homemade Chicken Parmesan Tortellini FAQ:
- What is the difference in Tortellini and Tortellino? I mentioned in the recipe that you can use either refrigerated cheese tortellini or refrigerated cheese tortelloni, but what’s the difference? It comes down to size and fillings. Tortellini is much smaller than tortellino and tortellini normally has a meat filling while tortellino has a cheese filling. However, with that being said, you can find the smaller tortellini with cheese filling as well. Either will work with this recipe, it’s just preference. I really prefer the larger tortellino for this. However, I’ve noticed that most people only look for tortellini!
- Can I use any pasta sauce? Use your favorite pasta sauce for this recipe. That might be a canned sauce or it might be a homemade sauce, just use your favorite. As I said earlier, I personally love the Hunts Four Cheese Pasta Sauce for this recipe.
- Do I have to boil the tortellini before adding it to the sauce? I would indeed recommend it. Since this is a quick, toss together meal, the pasta does need to be cooked before tossing it into the skillet. I know that with some recipes you can just toss tortellini into the sauce but those are normally baked pasta dishes that will be in the oven for a while.
- Are the chicken nuggets going to get soggy? The breaded chicken nuggets are going to soak up some of the sauce. We don’t have a problem with but if you’re worried about it, you can always toss the nuggets on top of the sauce instead of stirring them in.
Semi Homemade Chicken Parmesan Tortellini
- 20 breaded chicken nuggets, cooked
- 10 ounce bag refrigerated cheese tortellini or refrigerated cheese tortelloni
- 24 ounce can pasta sauce
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook/Heat chicken nuggets according to package directions.
- Once cooked, quarter each nugget or cut in half if nuggets are small. Set aside.
- While nuggets are cooking, combine pasta sauce, diced tomatoes (with juices), Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a medium/large skillet. Stir well.
- Heat sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When nuggets have been cooked and chopped, bring a pot of water to a gentle boil.
- Add refrigerated cheese tortellini or refrigerated cheese tortelloni to water and cook 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add cooked cheese tortellini or cooked cheese tortelloni to sauce.
- Add chicken nuggets to sauce and stir to combine.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover skillet and heat on medium heat about 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is hot.
- Can be made with refrigerated cheese tortellini or refrigerated cheese tortelloni
- Cheese tortellini is smaller than cheese tortelloni
- Leftover chicken nuggets are great for this recipe
- Any pasta sauce will work. I love the Hunts Four Cheese pasta sauce for this recipe.
Love it? Pin it!