Love the Chicken Gnocchi Soup from Olive Garden? If so, you’re going to fall head over heals for this Olive Garden Copycat recipe! This soup is Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup and it’s full of flavor, chicken and gnocchi!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQWhen we lived down at Camp Lejeune, NC, we were so excited when we finally got an Olive Garden! I fell in love with their Chicken Marsala, Salad and Chicken Gnocchi Soup! However, I found myself more and more disappointed with the Chicken Gnocchi Soup at Olive Garden as the years went on. It became more watery and sometimes I’d order Chicken Gnocchi Soup only to get a bowl of hot milk and spinach with maybe one piece of gnocchi and no chicken. So that only meant one thing! I need to make my own at home! This is my copycat version of Olive Garden’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup and I think it’s Better Than Olive Garden’s Chicken Gnocchi Soup to be honest!
Quick glance at what you’ll need for Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup: (amounts in recipe card below)
- olive oil
- chopped celery
- minced garlic
- shredded carrots
- black pepper
- onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- cooked, shredded chicken meat
- chopped frozen spinach
How to make Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup:In a large pot, over medium heat, melt butter and heat olive oil. Once butter is melted add in celery and cook for about 5-10 minutes until soft. If you want the celery to be a bit crunchy, 5 minutes is enough time. I like for the celery in this soup to be very soft. Add in the minced garlic and stir. Let the garlic cook for 2 minutes, your kitchen is going to be smelling wonderful at this point.
What type of Chicken broth to use for this homemade soup:
- Homemade Chicken Broth
- Low Sodium or Regular Store Bought Chicken Broth
- Chicken Bouillon made chicken broth
- Chicken broth made with something like Better Than Bouillon®
QUICK GLANCE Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup FAQ:
- Can I use homemade gnocchi? You sure can!
- Can I use fresh spinach instead of frozen? Yep! Just toss in 2 handfuls or so instead of the frozen.
- Does this soup store well? I think so! It does get a little thick as it cools but loosens up as it reheats.
Better Than Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2-3 stalks)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1.5 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken meat (2 legs and 2 thighs, cooked)
- 8 ounce chopped frozen spinach
- 16 ounces gnocchi
- In a large pot, over medium heat, melt butter and heat olive oil.
- Once butter is melted add in celery and cook for about 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add in garlic and stir. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in carrots and seasonings.
- Add in flour. Stir until everything is combined.
- Stir and cook flour mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and stir well to break up any clumps.
- Add in milk and heavy cream, stir.
- Toss in frozen spinach and cooked, shredded chicken, stir.
- Turn up heat and bring soup to a boil.
- Gently add gnocchi to soup and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve Hot/Warm.
A store bought Rotisserie chicken is great for this recipe! You'll need the meat from 2 legs and 2 thighs!
Love it? Pin it!